5 Best Screenwriting Software in 2022
If you want to become a good writer, you must choose the best screenwriting software to go with. Because it is the most important factor when you want to outline your scenes & characters in a more organized way.
What is the Best Screenwriting Software?
In this article, I will explain the best screenwriting software you can use to write scripts that meet industry standards.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links meaning I may receive a little commission if you purchase through my links at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support.
1. Arc Studio Pro
Arc Studio Pro is the most efficient, elegant, intuitive, and all-around user-friendly screenwriting software that is available in the field.
Features of Arc Studio Pro
- Clear and easily navigational interface
- Stable & secure cloud sync
- Automatic backups for locally and to the cloud
- Fountain & Final draft export
- Available as browser app, desktop app, iPhone & iPad app
- Automatic revision tracking
Pricing of Arc Studio Pro
- Essentials: $69 per year
- Pro: $99 per year
WriterDuet is one of the best industry-based screenwriting software that you can use to plan, write and share with screenwriters, and TV shows.
They also offer 3 free projects with no watermarks or page limits including an opportunity where you can use without providing any credit card details.
Features of WriterDuet
- Ability to log in and work on any computer or mobile device because everything is synced to the cloud while writing online.
- Constantly saving backups in the app. Can set additional backups to your device, google drive, dropbox or email.
- Ability to write while offline and the changes will be automatically synced once you’re back online.
- Can write with multiple collaborates and see everyone’s changes instantly.
- Ability to re-arrange scenes or group into sequences with Cards.
- Can make visual connections with Mind Map.
- Create read-only links to share with anyone.
- Importing & Exporting are supported for multiple file types such as PDF, Final Draft, Word, and fountain.
Pricing of WriterDuet
- Plus: $9.99 per month
- Pro: $11.99 per month
- Premium: $13.99 per month
3. Final Draft
Final Draft is another popular screenwriting software used by 95% of film & television productions. It automatically formats your screenplay to industry standards so your only task is to focus on the writing.
Features of Final Draft
- Enhanced beat board to organize your ideas, plan set pieces, store character research, etc.
- New outline elements & outline editor
- Scriptnotes feature to add comments to your script as ideas come into your mind
- Automatic backup folder to protect your work
- Supports Unicode and 97 different languages
- Automatically format and paginate to industry standards
Pricing of Final Draft
- Final Draft: $199.99 (one-time payment)
- Upgrade to Version 12: $79.99 (one-time payment)
- Teacher / Student: $99.99 (one-time payment)
Celtx is used for script writing, story development, and as a production tool for film & TV media. It lets you transform your great idea into a production-ready script.
Features of Celtx
- Script history – Reference previous versions in your script by date, time, and the user who made the save
- Revision mode – Lock your film & TV script for production
- Offline mode – Write & edit your script offline, then sync it to the cloud when you’re back online
- Read-through – Play any line from your script using a fully customizable text-to-speech playback
- Episodic projects – Stay organized while Celtx integrates your scripts and production documents across episodes
- Custom watermarking, headers & footers – Add text to customize the header and the footer on each page of your script and even secure your content with a watermark
Pricing of Celtx
- Writer: $14.99 per month
- Writer Pro: $24.99 per month
- Team: $59.99 per month
Scrivener is the most suitable app for writers of every kind. It is majorly used by screenwriters, novelists, non-fiction writers, lawyers, translators, journalists, and students. Scrivener provides everything you need to start the writing process and keep going.
Features of Scrivener
- Templates & icons – Create templates to use for new sections in your projects and assign various custom icons to easily pick out in the outline
- Familiar text editing – Almost similar to editing with word processor software
- Formatting presets – Use styles to format text as you like
- Metadata – Use metadata to record and find useful information
- Import – Import all sorts of files to scrivener including Word documents, plain text files, images, PDFs, Final draft scripts, movies, web pages, and sound files
- Collections – Allows you to create lists of related documents from anywhere in your project
- Snapshots – Take snapshots before doing a major revision and it offers the chance to return to an earlier version whenever you want
Pricing of Scrivener
- Standard License: $49
- Educational License: $41.65
- For iOS: $19.99
Screenwriting software alone won’t make you a good writer or a producer. It just helps to ease the process. They assist you to create clean and nicely formatted scripts for your projects. Choosing a good screenwriting software to go along with solely depends on your needs.
Recommended articles for you;