5 Best Screenwriting Software in 2022
If you want to become a good writer, you must choose the best screenwriting software to go with. Because it is the most important factor when you want to outline your scenes & characters in a more organized way.
What is the Best Screenwriting Software?
In this article, I will explain the best screenwriting software you can use to write scripts that meet industry standards.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links meaning I may receive a little commission if you purchase through my links at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Arc Studio Pro is the most efficient, elegant, intuitive, and all-around user-friendly screenwriting software that is available in the field.
Features of Arc Studio Pro
- Clear and easily navigational interface
- Stable & secure cloud sync
- Automatic backups for locally and to the cloud
- Fountain & Final draft export
- Available as browser app, desktop app, iPhone & iPad app
- Automatic revision tracking
Pricing of Arc Studio Pro
- Essentials: $69 per year
- Pro: $99 per year
WriterDuet is one of the best industry-based screenwriting software that you can use to plan, write and share with screenwriters, and TV shows.
They also offer 3 free projects with no watermarks or page limits including an opportunity where you can use without providing any credit card details.
Features of WriterDuet
- Ability to log in and work on any computer or mobile device because everything is synced to the cloud while writing online.
- Constantly saving backups in the app. Can set additional backups to your device, google drive, dropbox or email.
- Ability to write while offline and the changes will be automatically synced once you’re back online.
- Can write with multiple collaborates and see everyone’s changes instantly.
- Ability to re-arrange scenes or group into sequences with Cards.
- Can make visual connections with Mind Map.
- Create read-only links to share with anyone.
- Importing & Exporting are supported for multiple file types such as PDF, Final Draft, Word, and fountain.
Pricing of WriterDuet
- Plus: $9.99 per month
- Pro: $11.99 per month
- Premium: $13.99 per month
Final Draft is another popular screenwriting software used by 95% of film & television productions. It automatically formats your screenplay to industry standards so your only task is to focus on the writing.
Features of Final Draft
- Enhanced beat board to organize your ideas, plan set pieces, store character research, etc.
- New outline elements & outline editor
- Scriptnotes feature to add comments to your script as ideas come into your mind
- Automatic backup folder to protect your work
- Supports Unicode and 97 different languages
- Automatically format and paginate to industry standards
Pricing of Final Draft
- Final Draft: $199.99 (one-time payment)
- Upgrade to Version 12: $79.99 (one-time payment)
- Teacher / Student: $99.99 (one-time payment)
Celtx is used for script writing, story development, and as a production tool for film & TV media. It lets you transform your great idea into a production-ready script.
Features of Celtx
- Script history – Reference previous versions in your script by date, time, and the user who made the save
- Revision mode – Lock your film & TV script for production
- Offline mode – Write & edit your script offline, then sync it to the cloud when you’re back online
- Read-through – Play any line from your script using a fully customizable text-to-speech playback
- Episodic projects – Stay organized while Celtx integrates your scripts and production documents across episodes
- Custom watermarking, headers & footers – Add text to customize the header and the footer on each page of your script and even secure your content with a watermark
Pricing of Celtx
- Writer: $14.99 per month
- Writer Pro: $24.99 per month
- Team: $59.99 per month
Scrivener is the most suitable app for writers of every kind. It is majorly used by screenwriters, novelists, non-fiction writers, lawyers, translators, journalists, and students. Scrivener provides everything you need to start the writing process and keep going.
Features of Scrivener
- Templates & icons – Create templates to use for new sections in your projects and assign various custom icons to easily pick out in the outline
- Familiar text editing – Almost similar to editing with word processor software
- Formatting presets – Use styles to format text as you like
- Metadata – Use metadata to record and find useful information
- Import – Import all sorts of files to scrivener including Word documents, plain text files, images, PDFs, Final draft scripts, movies, web pages, and sound files
- Collections – Allows you to create lists of related documents from anywhere in your project
- Snapshots – Take snapshots before doing a major revision and it offers the chance to return to an earlier version whenever you want
Pricing of Scrivener
- Standard License: $49
- Educational License: $41.65
- For iOS: $19.99
Screenwriting software alone won’t make you a good writer or a producer. It just helps to ease the process. They assist you to create clean and nicely formatted scripts for your projects. Choosing a good screenwriting software to go along with solely depends on your needs.
Recommended articles for you;